Historic Restoration Makes Good Business Sense For Developers
Located in Portland’s Central East Side, the Meier & Frank Depot Building served as warehouse storage for the nearby Meier & Frank department store. Built in 1928, the building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Gerding Edlen Development purchased the building in 2001 and began renovation in 2010, after a multiyear hiatus during the financial crisis. The addition of a new fifth floor will increase the total building area to 184,000-square-feet including a parking garage. The Danish company Vestas Wind Systems will occupy the entire building for its North American headquarters.
A central atrium draws natural light into the center of the large floorplates. A rainwater harvesting system supplies more 60 percent of the building’s non-potable water needs. Although historic-preservation restrictions and other regulations prevented Vestas from installing windmills atop the structure, plans are in place for 112-kW rooftop solar array. The project is targeting a LEED Platinum certification and 50 percent less energy use than a similar building built to the Oregon energy code.
“One of our core philosophies is implementing as much sustainability in every project that we can. Why push sustainability on a historic renovation? Beyond the simple fact that it’s right thing to do, we think there’s a good business case for sustainability in buildings whether they are new or retrofitted,” said Patrick Wilde, VP of Development, Gerding Edlen Development.
- Gross Area: 184,000 square feet
- Cost: $ 64 million
- Program: Corporate office
- Completion Date: April 2012
- Distinction: (Targeted) LEED Platinum
- Developer: Gerding Edlen Development
- Owner: 14th & Everett RPO, LLC
- Architect: GBD Architects
- Structural & Civil Engineer: KPFF Consulting Engineers
- MEP Engineer: Glumac
- Contractor: Skanska USA